For decades, local, regional, national and international clients have relied on ScottHulse attorneys’ unique knowledge of and standing in the Borderplex to help them navigate the complexities of doing business in Mexico and our rapidly growing and ever-changing cross-border marketplace.
ScottHulse is strategically located in El Paso, Texas – the heart of the West Texas, Northern Mexico and Southern New Mexico Borderplex – the largest and most dynamic international business and trade center on the U.S./Mexico border.
Over the past 20 years, manufacturers from around the globe have capitalized on the NAFTA free trade agreement by developing twin-plant maquiladora facilities or shelter operations in Mexico. Additionally, companies in a wide array of sectors such as real estate, packaging, transportation and logistics, and technology services, have also established operations in the Borderplex to serve and support companies doing business in Mexico.
Our Mexico Law practice, offering licensed legal representation in Mexico, is indicative of our commitment to being the most responsive full-service commercial law firm in the U.S./Mexico border region. ScottHulse is the only truly international law firm in El Paso, offering clients the convenience, efficiency and effectiveness of single-source, dual representation in both the U.S. and Mexico. Our Mexico Law practice group enables our Firm to provide strong, aggressive, “boots on the ground” representation in Mexico. Licensed Mexico representation enhances our international trade & cross-border business capabilities and our proven ability to fulfill client needs related to significant cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
Our dual representation in both the U.S. and Mexico enables clients to consolidate and streamline oversight, coordination and implementation of their U.S./Mexico legal activities, thus easing the challenges of doing cross-border business. Our Mexico attorneys and many of our U.S. attorneys, who work collaboratively on Mexico and cross-border matters, are bilingual (English/Spanish) and have deep roots in our bi-national community. These unique strengths enable our Firm to work effectively and efficiently in both countries, while serving a diverse client base.
The diverse industry experience of our Mexico Law practice group includes and is not limited to manufacturing (including maquiladoras and shelter manufacturing), real estate, industrial and residential development, urban development, engineering and construction, automotive, hospitality and tourism, health care, medical equipment, banking and financial services, transportation and logistics, petroleum products, mining, and natural gas and energy distribution.
Areas of Legal Expertise
The ScottHulse Mexico Law practice group specializes in representing U.S.-based investors and businesses in their efforts to do business in Mexico. Working in tandem with our International Trade & Cross-Border Business practice group, our Mexico attorneys are experienced in
Corporate & Securities
- Advising U.S. companies and individuals involved in foreign direct investment in Mexico, in all matters related to corporate laws, e.g., establishing Mexican entities, corporate planning and organization, joint ventures, sales and distribution agreements, licensing and franchising
- Advising, drafting and negotiating civil and commercial contracts and all matters related to laws of contracts in Mexico, including technology transfers and licensing
- Structuring, negotiating, and documenting sales of goods and services in Mexico
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting international distributorship, franchise and joint venture transactions
- Advising and representing clients on Mexico regulatory matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting international mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures involving companies located or operating in Mexico; experienced with both buy side and sell side representation
- Advising U.S. companies in the protection of intellectual property rights in Mexico
- Assisting U.S., Mexican and multinational companies with establishing manufacturing operations and programs in Mexico
- Advising clients on matters related to shelter manufacturing agreements and operations, international contract manufacturing agreements and operations
- Advising clients in customs and international trade law
Customs, International Trade, and Immigration Law
- Immigration Law, obtaining visas and permits for investors, technicians and corporate officers
- Mexico customs (import and export), e.g., obtaining IMMEX (maquiladora) permits, and in general advising clients on customs laws
- Obtaining Mexico import permits, e.g., for the importation of medical devices before COFEPRIS
Banking & Finance
- In matters related to banking and securities laws, such as structuring, negotiating and documenting cross-border lending, banking and finance transactions, e.g., structuring loan documents for U.S. lenders with Mexico borrowers, and advising U.S. companies on banking and financing in Mexico
- Assisting U.S. lenders in obtaining liens and security interests on collateral located in Mexico
- Working closely with banking and financial institutions in Mexico and, when appropriate, with officials and agencies of the Mexico government to assist companies involved in Mexico operations
Real Estate – Commercial, Industrial and Residential
- Advising U.S. companies and individuals that wish to invest in, purchase, or lease real estate in Mexico, and all matters related to Mexico real estate law
- Acquisition and disposition of Mexico vacation homes, condominiums and time shares
Litigation, Including Tax and Administrative Matters
- Defending investors and entrepreneurs on contingencies against Government agencies in Mexico
- Representing companies and investors in matters related to civil and commercial litigation
Labor & Employment Law
- Advising and representing businesses on matters related to Mexican labor laws or disputes
- Corporate and high net worth individual tax planning involving Mexican and U.S. laws
- International estate planning, asset protection, and probate